At Darras Hall Primary School we have an engaging and inspiring English curriculum. Through high expectations, quality texts and purposeful reasons to write, children develop English skills which allow them to access the entire curriculum.
Our aim is for all children to be able to:
read fluently and confidently
• use a range of reading strategies to build an understanding of what they have read
• enjoy reading a range of books
• acquire a wide and varied vocabulary
• identify and use a range of grammatical features and understand why they are used
• understand and apply spelling rules
spell common exception words appropriate to their year group
• write coherently with a clear audience, purpose and form
• write neatly and legibly and take pride in their work
At Darras Hall Primary School we follow Little Wandle Letters & Sounds Revised to teach phonics in Nursery, Reception and Years 1 and 2. Children take part in daily phonics sessions in a whole class or as part of a group. At the end of Year 1 children take the Phonics Screening Check. Some children may continue with phonics in Year 3 and beyond if required.
Children have a wide selection of books to choose from to apply their skills to read. For emerging readers, their reading books are closely matched to the phonics they are learning in class so are known as decodable texts.
As they progress and become secure with phonics, children are introduced to a wider range of books within Accelerated Reader, where children move through levels as their reading progresses. Accelerated Reader has a strong focus on gaining meaning from a wide range of high quality texts and includes short online quizzes matched to books that the children have read.
In Years 1-6, children's enjoyment and understanding of texts is developed using Reciprocal Reading. As children progress through school, they learn to question and understand texts in more depth using this approach.