Darras Hall Primary School English Curriculum
At Darras Hall Primary School we believe that English provides access to the whole curriculum and is the
means through which every child can achieve his or her full potential. Pupils who read, write and speak
fluently have the foundations for lifelong learning and success.
We aim to promote high standards of English by setting high expectations for all of our pupils in order for them to:
• read easily, fluently and with a good understanding of what they have read
• develop the habit of reading widely and often, for both pleasure and information
• acquire a wide and varied vocabulary for use in both written and spoken forms fostering an interest in words and their meaning
• develop a secure knowledge and understanding of English grammar
• become confident at spelling
• write neatly and legibly
• write clearly, accurately and coherently, adapting their language and style in and for a range of contexts with a clear focus on audience, purpose and form.
• to want the best for themselves – to have a desire to succeed in English and a positive attitude.
Through a rich and engaging English curriculum we aim to develop a love for English, while providing
children with the skills they need to become confident and successful readers and writers.